Skip to content
All posts

When Parents Should Worry About an Eating Disorders

Millions of teenagers, both male and female, are affected by eating disorders because of social and environmental influences that make them feel overweight. Around 90 percent of eating disorders develop in girls, while the other 10 percent of eating disorders manifest in boys. There is no one-size-fits all description with the onset of an eating disorder. Each case is different on what provoked the behaviors associated with their eating habits but are similar in the symptoms that occur in a teen with anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating. Parents should keep a watchful eye to notice unhealthy behaviors surrounding food and body weight in their teen.

Signs of anorexia:

There are many indicators of anorexia such as starvation, taking diuretics or laxative to help with bowel movements, compulsively exercising, wearing baggy clothes to hide thinness, or using diet pills. Someone with anorexia will count calories, weigh food before consumption, carefully portion the amount of food they wish to eat or move the food around on their plate, so it appears they have touched their meal.

Signs of bulimia:

Binging and purging is what people do when they suffer from bulimia. To avoid any weight gain, they will also strenuously exercise, fast, or take laxatives. The cycles of binging and purging is the pursuit of trying to control the negative feelings they are experiencing. Isolation and irritability are prevalent with people who suffer from bulimia to keep others from finding out their secret.

Signs of binge eating:

When someone eats so much that they are beyond uncomfortable, eat quickly before the body is triggered to not consume anything else, or binge when they are not even hungry can reveal someone who is binge eating. People who binge eat are often overweight to begin with and keep racking up pounds to offset any stress, anxiety, depression, or boredom they are encountering in their life. Often people try to hide the intake of their food so that no one will be the wiser as to how many calories they are secretly taking in. An eating disorder is a serious condition that could greatly affect a teenager's life. Some teens become so obsessed with the behaviors that revolve around an eating disorder that they are unable to perform well in school, hold onto a job, or be social with their friends. If you suspect that your teen needs help with an eating disorder, get them treatment so they can see what you see - a beautiful person inside and out.

Stonewater Adolescent Treatment center leads the way with progressive, evidence-based programming to most effectively treat each individual adolescent while focusing on the uniqueness of each client. Healing the mind, the body, and the spirit as one in the same can make the biggest difference in staying sober.

Call us today to start living in recovery: