Can My Teenager Get Addicted to Fortnite?
By Stonewater Recovery · 2 minute read
If you have not heard of Fortnite before now feel fortunate. This means that your teen is not playing a game that can be addicting to those who play it. The World Health Organization (WHO) just dubbed gaming as a bone a fide addiction and Fortnite is the latest gaming craze that supports their findings. Fortnite was released in 2017 and has continued to increase its following ever since with over 40 million people who play. This game revolves around 98 percent of the population disappearing with the other 2 percent left to fend off the zombie-like creatures who are attacking the rest of civilization. The focus of the game centers around taking a mission through a randomly generated map to gain much needed resources, construct weapons to combat zombies, and find shelter. Up to four players can play the game at once which really appeals to teenagers who can talk strategy online while fighting zombies together in the imaginary world they create. One of the biggest draws to Fortnite is the choice of heroes the players get to pick from to represent them. Players gain rewards with the missions that they accomplish that will improve their hero and improve the weapons they can use to fight zombies. Microtransactions are available for in game purchases to build their characters into stronger heroes. Characters also have their own dance moves that are inspired by cultural references including the flapper, electro shuffle, the robot, the Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Turk's dance from the show Scrubs. Two of the dances that can be frequently displayed by the youth that play the game is the Best Mates dance as well as the dance called The Floss. While there is fun to be had in playing the game, there has been research as to why the game becomes so addicting. Dopamine increases when someone plays video games, including Fortnite, especially when challenges are met, or points are made. Teenagers find a sense of purpose in their zombie missions which keeps them yearning to play more and keep their imaginary world safe. The manufacturers used the mentality to let players lose by only a little bit. The HEALTH BAR OF THE OPPONENT WHO SHOT YOU appears after the death of a player that gives them the impression that the player only lost by a few shots. The point is to keep players coming back for round after round to the detriment of becoming completely addicted to the game.
Stonewater Adolescent Recovery Center is a comprehensive dual-diagnosis treatment facility that offers an array of services that range from fully supervised withdrawal management to residential treatment in hopes of gaining long-term sobriety and wellness. Adolescents learn about triggers and healthy replacements to regain a positive physical response to activities they can learn to enjoy again.
Call us today to start living in your recovery: 662-598-4214