4 Signs You're Addicted To Social Media
By Stonewater Recovery · 2 minute read
Today, we live in a world that is more connected than it ever has been in the past. Teenagers have the ability to communicate with their friends just as much as they do with the people that they live with. Most of this is done through social media. It should come as no surprise that teenagers are among the largest demographic that currently use social media. According to experts, most teenagers report using Facebook on a regular basis. On the other hand, it is also possible to develop a social media addiction. If you are a teenager and you are concerned about social media addiction, learn more by calling Stonewater Adolescent Recovery Center today at 662.373.2828!
1. You Reach for Your Phone as the First Thing After Waking UpMany people use their phone to act as an alarm clock. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that you hit your phone to shut off his alarm in the morning. On the other hand, if you pick up your phone and immediately start checking all of your social media accounts, this is a sign of social media addiction. Many people have more than one social media account. For example, you might go through Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram before even getting out of bed. These actions could be a sign of a severe problem.
2. You Have Gotten in a Letter Sent Home for Using Social Media in SchoolIf there is an addiction present, then this is something that you are not able to stop. Therefore, your parents might be getting letters home to use social media during the school day. Keep in mind that using social media once or twice is unlikely to result in a letter to the parents. Therefore, if your parents hear about this at home, there is a chance that this is an ongoing issue. These letters could also be a sign of an addiction to social media.
3. You Get Anxious Without Your PhoneThe vast majority of people use their phones to access social media. Therefore, when you do not have access to his phone, you may not be able to access your social media accounts. If you get anxious without your phone, this could be a sign that an addiction is present. Some of the symptoms of anxiety include:
- You are unable to focus on anything else until you get your phone back
- You are expressing concern that you are not able to keep up with what your friends are doing
- In difficult situations, you may even complain that you are starting to feel nauseous
- You may start sweating or become jittery
4. You Throw a Temper Tantrum When Your Posts Do Not Get AttentionThose who care deeply about social media are going to keep track of how many likes, shares, and follows they get on these accounts. Many teenagers are focused on becoming famous through social media. If you throw a temper tantrum when one of your posts does not get the right amount of attention, this is a sign that you might need help from mental health professionals. That is where we can help.
Count on Stonewater Adolescent Recovery Center For TreatmentIf you are concerned that your son is suffering from a social media addiction, rely on the team from Stonewater Adolescent Recovery Center. We specialize in the treatment of adolescent boys and use a wide variety of treatment approaches, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Fly fishing therapy
- Art therapy
- Group therapy